Sunday, December 13, 2009

Post #1: "Dark Danish Dancing"

So, I've decided to start a new blog since coming back to the U.S. in June after a crazy year in Sweden.

I've been really inspired by a friend to start writing a regular, primarily music-based blog (props to you Lauren if you're reading this!). Since it's pretty common for young people to bond over music, I think being able to see what other people are listening to is always a great way to expand one's own tastes. As much as I love Hype Machine, I think looking to friends for new music is way more personal and engaging.

I'm not going to stick to one particular genre even though that might be more tempting. With this blog I'm really going to try to be as diverse as possible, just talking about music that's been on my radar as of the moment.

Even though I want to focus as much as possible on music, I can't deny that I'll have the urge from time to time to just write about something completely random, so be prepared!

I hope that all of you out there reading this will enjoy it, and I welcome all and any feedback.

So, to begin . . .

I always fancied myself as a pseudo indie kid with delusions of hipsterdom (don't all college students?) and living in Europe for a year really made me more conscious of electronic music in general. Going out to clubs in different cities (London, Madrid, Stockholm, etc.) and checking out different DJs became kind of an obsession for me. I discovered that different countries tended to specialize in certain sub-genres although it was pretty fluid. I was just impressed with how much more prevalent GOOD electronic music was in even the more mainstream clubs in Europe, rather than in the U.S. where some god awful Lil Wayne remix is always pumping out the speakers.

I have to admit I sometimes gravitate towards the darker, heavier electronic stuff, and I really admire when an artist can still make that kind of music club-friendly. Case in point, Spleen United, an awesome band that a Danish friend of mine introduced me to. I think the drum and bass synth combo is off the chain in this track. If this track's beat doesn't get into your head for days on end then you need to get your head checked for serious!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1U9a-1Iobk

No comments:

Post a Comment