I think it's hard in the U.S. for legitimate hip-hop to find a place on the radio or on mainstream media in general, and because of that I think it's easy for a lot of young people to think that any artist that doesn't rap about bling or cars or sex is a real prodigy. I try not to fall into that trap but it does happen from time to time.
To me, the essence of hip-hop is a sense of social consciousness as well as experimentation and I admire the following artists a great deal because I feel that they express and possess such a consciousness in the ways that they write and perform, or really push the boundaries of the genre musically and stylistically.
1.) Nas - "America" This song really knocked me flat when I first heard it (I gotta thank my friend Adam B. for first showing it to me), the deftness and intensity of his lyrics was really mesmerizing. I think he's really underrated to be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92ENePFBIdw
2.) The Roots - One of the most innovative hip-hop bands out there, and one of the few that has stuck around for so long, and at the same time remained both critically acclaimed and loved by fans. Here are some great tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4D1QOLGuM&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIVzt_vGyr8
3.) Gnarls Barkley - it's hard to classify or pin-point these guys as they've done everything from cover Radiohead to drawing on 60s soul and 70s R&B to craft their amazing sound. Even though everyone knows "Crazy", they have a lot of other great tracks. Here are a couple:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GA3a15xF0c&feature=fvsr (The fact that Justin Timberlake both makes a cameo and pokes quite a bit of fun at himself in the process is definitely a winning combination in this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lomNiMATjk (an absolutely amazing live performance from Abbey Road studios)
Hey Noah, enjoying the blog. I'm definitely in the same boat as you used to be, in that I pretty much pigeonhole all rap/hip hop as the same as the top 40 vapidity. Fun lil question though, in 'Adam B' would the B happen to stand for Barhamand? If so, I don't actually know him, but he's got a slick little facebook group I'm in that he sends awesome music out to somewhat regularly, which has informed me of some great music.
ReplyDeleteKeep it up! ~Eric Walters