Monday, January 4, 2010

Jack Peñate

For this week's post, I've got to declare my love for Jack Peñate, an absolutely amazing British singer/songwriter who's been on my radar in the last few weeks. Interestingly, I first heard him on the Current while driving with my uncle (Minnesota Public Radio, 89.3, a really fantastic station).




The first comparison bound to come to mind when listening to his vocal style is Robert Smith of the Cure and while I feel that's legitimate as there's no doubt Jack counts Smith among his influences (if he doesn't he's just kidding himself), he really has his own style.

His music has elements of funk, retro pop, and soul, a good combination in my opinion. Here are some particularly great tracks of his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zi4AyzRC4 "Pull My Heart Away" - my favorite song of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFQDsH3DRKo "Torn On The Platform" - a track with liberal doses of ska, good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SfrVnYsu1c "Tonight's Today" - the first single from his newest album, "Everything Is New"

Check this guy out if you haven't heard of him already!! And I apologize for not being able to make the links to songs work directly, you'll just have to copy and paste into your URL for now until I can figure out how to make that work.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment